Ok so I’ve been working on my army list for my next army this time Imperial Guard. I will be using the second version of the 3rd edition codex (the one with regimental doctrines) which, from a modellers/background type of guy that I am, is my personal favorite. Being able to make the different guard regiments subtly different from each other to encompass the vast number of cultures that make up the guard is fun and better than just using different models who all fight the same in my opinion.
So my first guard regiment is the Redroran Rangers. I wanted these guys to be elite light infantry like royal marine commandos or U.S. Rangers to use a present day examples. I posted the background for these guys in the last post and their doctrines are based on that so we have
- 1 Light infantry doctrine – this allows them to infiltrate and move quickly through difficult terrain which seems right given the background.
- 2 Sharp shooters – again this seemed appropriate for men growing up on a frontier world were hunting is a big part of life.
- 3 Die-hards – I wanted these guys to be to stubborn to rout, even when things are bad, based on their background as tough independent frontiers men.
- 4 Special weapon squads – I took this for the sniper option but the idea that lacking a lot of heavy support these guys improvise elite weapons squads appealed to me.
- 5 Storm troopers – I have this idea that each regiment contains a platoon of Storm trooper attached to the regimental HQ company for really tough missions.
The light infantry, sharp shooters and die-hards doctrines add a hefty extra 25 pts to every guard infantry unit in the army which soon mounts up. Added to my choice to use some homebrew armoured cars using the 3rd edition vehicle design rules (VDR) which always come in a bit over cost means this army is a little smaller than some guard armies. Any way here is the list
Command Squad – Heroic senior officer, laspistol, powerfist and frag
Medic -laspistol and medi pack, frag
Vox caster – master vox, lasgun, frag
2 guardsmen – plasma guns, frag
Mortar squad – (no sharp shooters) 3 mortars
Special weapons squad – flamer, melta-gun, demo charge, lasguns, frag and krak
Special weapons squad – 3 sniper rifles, lasguns
Storm trooper squad – veteran sergeant and 5 troopers hellguns, infiltrate, 2 flamers, powersword, bolter
2 platoons (identical except were noted)
HQ squad – Junior officer -powerfist (c/combat weapon in 2nd platoon) , las-pistol, frag
Medic – las-pistol, medi-pack, frag
Vox caster – vox , las-gun, frag
2 Guardsmen – plama guns, frag
131pts (111 pts second platoon)
1st squad – sergeant and 9 troopers -lasguns, missile launcher, grenade launcher, frag shotgun (for sergeant)
2nd squad – sergeant and 9 troopers – lasguns, las-cannon, plasma gun, frag and shotgun (for sergeant)
1 Skunk Bear armoured car
Auto -cannon, search light,
1 Skunk Bear CS armoured car
Twin-linked missile launcher (frag + krak)
Total = 1498